Skip to Content

University of California, Riverside

Office of Gift Planning

A Tax-Smart Option

For IRA Owners

If you own an IRA, you now have another way to save taxes while making a charitable gift. The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act of 2015 has made the Charitable IRA Rollover a permanently available option. If you are 70 ½ or older, you can satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) tax-free through direct transfers (maximum $100,000 total) to charity, such as the UC Riverside Foundation.

Why Consider This Gift?

  • You can see the impact of your generosity today by making annual gifts from your IRA and then leave a bequest to perpetuate that support through an endowment.
  • Transfers from your IRA to charity can fulfill all or part of your RMD but will be excluded from your adjusted gross income (AGI).
  • You may save taxes whether you itemize or take the standard deduction.
  • Though you don’t get a charitable deduction, you may save money in other ways (e.g., lower Medicare premiums and potentially lower tax bracket).

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I've already named UC Riverside Foundation as the beneficiary of my IRA. What are the benefits if I make a gift now instead of after my lifetime?
A. By making a gift this year of up to $100,000 from your IRA, you can see the impact of your giving now. You can jumpstart the legacy you would like to leave and give yourself the joy of watching your philanthropy take shape. In addition, you can take advantage of the benefits named above.

Q. I'm turning age 70½ in a few months. Can I make this gift now?
A. No, the legislation requires you to reach age 70½ by the date you make the gift.

Q. I have several retirement accounts—some are pensions and some are IRAs. Does it matter which retirement account I use?
A. Yes, direct rollovers to a qualified charity can be made only from a traditional or Roth IRA. Under certain circumstances, however, you may be able to roll assets from a pension, profit sharing, 401(k) or 403(b) plan into an IRA and then make the transfer from the IRA directly to the UC Riverside Foundation. To determine if a rollover to an IRA is available for your plan, speak with your plan administrator.

Q. Can my gift be used as my required minimum distribution under the law?
A. Yes, absolutely. If you have not yet taken your required minimum distribution, the IRA charitable rollover can satisfy all or part of that requirement. Contact your IRA custodian to complete the gift.

Q. Do I need to give my entire IRA to be eligible for the tax benefits?
A. No, you can give any amount under this provision, as long as it is $100,000 or less for the year.

Q. I have two charities I want to support. Can I transfer $100,000 from my IRA to each charity?
A. Under the law, only the first $100,000 that you transfer from your IRA to charity will count toward your RMD and benefit from tax-free treatment. If you would like to support UCR and another charity, you may give each organization $50,000, or any combination that totals $100,000 or less, to be excluded from your AGI. Any amount over $100,000 in one year must be reported as taxable income.

Q. My spouse and I would like to give more than $100,000. How can we do that?
A. If you have a spouse who is 70½ or older and has an IRA, s/he can also give up to $100,000 from his or her IRA.

It is wise to consult with your tax professionals if you are considering making a gift through charitable IRA rollover. Please feel free to contact Jeff Janosko, Director of Gift Planning, at 951-827-6296 or with any questions you may have.

eBrochure Request Form

Please provide the following information to view the brochure.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Office of Gift Planning
Mailing Address:
900 University Avenue, MC063
Riverside, CA 92521

Physical Address:
1955 Chicago Avenue, Ste. 200
Riverside, CA 92507

Tel: (951) 827-3793
Fax: (951) 827-7311

Related Links


PIF Chart

A charitable bequest is one or two sentences in your will or living trust that leave to UC Riverside a specific item, an amount of money, a gift contingent upon certain events or a percentage of your estate.

an individual or organization designated to receive benefits or funds under a will or other contract, such as an insurance policy, trust or retirement plan

“I give to the UC Riverside Foundation (tax ID #23-7433570), a California nonprofit corporation, [a dollar amount], [a specific property], or [all or a percentage (%) of the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate] to support the greatest needs of the campus at the discretion of the Chancellor.”

able to be changed or cancelled

A revocable living trust is set up during your lifetime and can be revoked at any time before death. They allow assets held in the trust to pass directly to beneficiaries without probate court proceedings and can also reduce federal estate taxes.

cannot be changed or cancelled

tax on gifts generally paid by the person making the gift rather than the recipient

the original value of an asset, such as stock, before its appreciation or depreciation

the growth in value of an asset like stock or real estate since the original purchase

the price a willing buyer and willing seller can agree on

The person receiving the gift annuity payments.

the part of an estate left after debts, taxes and specific bequests have been paid

a written and properly witnessed legal change to a will

the person named in a will to manage the estate, collect the property, pay any debt, and distribute property according to the will

A donor advised fund is an account that you set up but which is managed by a nonprofit organization. You contribute to the account, which grows tax-free. You can recommend how much (and how often) you want to distribute money from that fund to UCR or other charities. You cannot direct the gifts.

An endowed gift can create a new endowment or add to an existing endowment. The principal of the endowment is invested and a portion of the principal’s earnings are used each year to support our mission.

Tax on the growth in value of an asset—such as real estate or stock—since its original purchase.

Securities, real estate or any other property having a fair market value greater than its original purchase price.

Real estate can be a personal residence, vacation home, timeshare property, farm, commercial property or undeveloped land.

crt chart

CLT Chart

You fund this type of trust with cash or appreciated assets—and may qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction when you itemize. You can also make additional gifts; each one also qualifies for a tax deduction. The trust pays you, each year, a variable amount based on a fixed percentage of the fair market value of the trust assets. When the trust terminates, the remaining principal goes to UCR as a lump sum.

You fund this trust with cash or appreciated assets—and may qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction when you itemize. Each year the trust pays you or another named individual the same dollar amount you choose at the start. When the trust terminates, the remaining principal goes to UCR as a lump sum.

A beneficiary designation clearly identifies how specific assets will be distributed after your death.

CGA Chart

Personal Estate Planning Kit Request Form

Please provide the following information to view the materials for planning your estate.